Introduction to Teamcenter PLM Customization
Teamcenter PLM provides a variety of mechanisms for customization catering to different business requirements. Teamcenter PLM customization is based on the base framework of APIs provided by Teamcenter PLM Solution. In this blog let’s discuss available customization options and architecture of Teamcenter PLM
Teamcenter PLM Customization Components & Architecture
Teamcenter PLM customization architecture can be broadly classified based on Teamcenter PLM technical architecture. It can be categorized into three layers as shown below.
- Server Customization is the core of all customization as most of the Business logic is written in this layer. Server customization mainly deals with all business transaction as it interacts with database through Persistence Object Model (POM) API.
- Server customization is done through C based API provided by Teamcenter PLM. This API is also called Integration Toolkit (ITK). SOA customization and BMIDE extension options are also available for customization on Teamcenter PLM Server
- As shown in the diagram, all BMIDE extension is in server side. Because most BMIDE extension overrides or changes object behavior based on business requirement. This can be only accomplished in server layer; hence all extension is implemented by using core ITK API provided in server layer.
- Web Layer is Teamcenter based J2EE deployment layer which basically communicates between Server and client.
- Client Layer is portal or thin client customization which usually deals with user interface and data of the results retrieved from the server request.
- SOA Client and Server is Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) Application Programming Interface (API) for calling SOA services.
- FMS is resource layer supporting actual file transfer between client and server through FMS framework.
Teamcenter PLM Customization Areas
Based on above Customization components, Teamcenter PLM Customization can be categorized in the following areas.
- Server Customization
- Portal Customization
- Web or Thin Client Customization
- SOA based Customization
- BMIDE Extension Customization
Server Customization: Server side customization is the most frequently performed customization, as all business logic is written in server layer. All requests pass through server layer for all Teamcenter PLM transactions. Hence server layer is core of Teamcenter PLM customization. As discussed in Teamcenter PLM Customization Layers, Teamcenter PLM provide C based application program interfaces (APIs) called Integration Toolkit (ITK) for server side customization. Integration Toolkit (ITK) provides hundreds of APIs for processing various business process based customizations on Teamcenter PLM functionality. ITK is categorized by various modules and functionalities of Teamcenter PLM. Extension mechanisms are provided by Integration Toolkit (ITK) to plug in custom code based on various Teamcenter PLM events and object statuses.
Portal Customization: Teamcenter PLM Client layer is written on Java Foundation Classes (JFC) and eclipse Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT). Teamcenter PLM core client APIs are written in Java Foundation Classes framework, it will be ported to eclipse Standard Widget Toolkit framework. Teamcenter PLM supports both JFC and SWT customization, but it is recommended to do customization in SWT to align with Teamcenter PLM technology roadmap. The Portal Customization can be done extending out of the box (OOTB) plug-in or developing our own plug-in. Teamcenter PLM client API also provides object interface component which is an encapsulation of Teamcenter PLM data model through client object model. Teamcenter PLM client object Interface component also form interface layer between client and server.
SOA Customization: SOA Customization is also called Teamcenter PLM services. It is a standard SOA based services provided by Teamcenter PLM for integrating with third party as well custom client. Teamcenter PLM provides framework to create your own custom SOA services.
BMIDE Extension Customization: This is mainly Teamcenter PLM server customization using Teamcenter PLM BMIDE. BMIDE provides various extension customization mechanisms for implementing desired behavior in Teamcenter PLM. Examples of BMIDE extension is pre-action or post-action operation for a Business object, Runtime property etc. These extensions are implemented in BMIDE environment by writing C or C++ server code mainly using ITK API. BMIDE framework creates stub code and other required classes for extension implementation. Developer is only required to implement base logic of the extension.
Teamcenter PLM Dispatcher module also can be customized for required translation behavior. Dispatcher client is required to be implemented for extracting and loading translated file from Teamcenter PLM. The Dispatcher Client Framework is based on Teamcenter PLM SOA service. Most of the OOTB SOA API is used apart from Dispatcher API which encapsulates most of complex Teamcenter PLM SOA API calls.
🎓 Teamcenter PLM Training
- 🎓 Teamcenter PLM Functional Training (URL: https://plmcoach.com/teamcenter-functional-training/)
- Teamcenter PLM Functional Training course introduces the concept of product lifecycle management (PLM). In Teamcenter PLM Functional Training you will become familiar with the rich client user interface and learn the basics of using Teamcenter PLM. Teamcenter PLM Functional Training provides instruction on working in the rich client interface and the basics of using a suite of Teamcenter PLM applications, including My Teamcenter, Structure Manager, embedded viewer, Classification, Workflow Viewer, and Change Manager.
- 🎓 Teamcenter PLM Deployment Training (URL: https://plmcoach.com/teamcenter-deployment/)
- Teamcenter PLM Deployment Training course defines the two-tier and the four-tier architectures and demonstrates how to install the components of these architectures. Teamcenter PLM Deployment Training includes database (DB) server, corporate server, two-tier rich client, the Business Modeler IDE (BMIDE). Teamcenter PLM Deployment Training also covers installation and configuring Web application server, Server Manager, thin client, distribution server, distribution server instance, four-tier rich client, the embedded viewer, NX Integration, FSC cache server, Dispatcher, Store and Forward, and creation of an additional site for Teamcenter PLM.
- 🎓 Teamcenter PLM Administration Training (URL: https://plmcoach.com/teamcenter-administration/)
- Teamcenter PLM Administration Training course addresses the configuration of Teamcenter Administration Data to meet your company’s needs through the Rich Client. Teamcenter PLM Administration Training course represents a role focused set of topics which are geared directly for application administrators. In the Teamcenter PLM Administration Training course you will learn the fundamentals of how to manage and create administration data in Teamcenter PLM. Teamcenter PLM Administration Training Topics covered in this course will include configuring and managing your company’s Organization, Access Permissions, Preferences Values, Project Data, Searches, Import and Export Rules, Reports, Commands, Workflows, Stylesheets and how to migrate to additional sites, or run reports against that data.
- 🎓 Teamcenter PLM Business Modeler Administration Training (URL: https://plmcoach.com/teamcenter-business-modeler/)
- Teamcenter PLM Business Modeler Administration (BMIDE) Training course teaches configuration of the Teamcenter PLM data model to meet your company’s needs through the Business Modeler IDE (BMIDE). Teamcenter PLM Business Modeler Administration (BMIDE) Training course represents a role focused set of topics from the 1st half of the Application and Data Model Administration course which is geared directly for data model administrators and developers. In Teamcenter PLM Business Modeler Administration (BMIDE) Training course you will gain an understanding on the fundamentals of Business Modeler IDE (BMIDE), how to extend your data model, and deployment techniques and options for getting the changes into your development, Quality Assurance (QA), and Production sites. Content covered in Teamcenter PLM Business Modeler Administration (BMIDE) Training course will include an introduction to the Business Modeler IDE (BMIDE) in Teamcenter PLM, extending the data model with new elements (for example: business object, properties, Lists of Values (LOVs), Rules, and much more in Teamcenter PLM, deployment strategies, and troubleshooting, preferences and utilities references in Teamcenter PLM
- 🎓 Teamcenter PLM Server Side (ITK) Customization Training (URL: https://plmcoach.com/teamcenter-server-customization/)
- Teamcenter PLM Server Side (ITK) Customization Training course provides lessons on customizing standalone ITK and SOA utilities, the Teamcenter PLM server, and the Teamcenter PLM Rich Clients. In Teamcenter PLM Server Side (ITK) Customization Training course, students will learn about the Integrated Toolkit (ITK) and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) APIs in Teamcenter PLM and how to build standalone command line utilities to invoke custom code written in either ITK or SOA in Teamcenter PLM. Participants will set up development environments in Microsoft Visual Studio and Eclipse to learn how to debug and execute their utilities in Teamcenter PLM. Participants will also learn how to use ITK and SOA to extend the server functionality by creating Operation Extensions (Workflow Handlers), Metamodel Operations, and Services inside of the Business Modeler and various deployment methods to get their customization to their clients/server in Teamcenter PLM. Finally, participants will learn how to create custom plugins using Eclipse to build custom interface components for the Rich Clients to invoke server side code in Teamcenter PLM. A deep dive into Style Sheets to invoke those customization and to influence the display of data in the clients will also be discussed.
- 🎓 Teamcenter PLM Client Side (RAC) Customization Training (URL: https://plmcoach.com/teamcenter-client-customization/)
- Teamcenter PLM Client Side (RAC) Customization Training course provides lessons on customizing Teamcenter PLM Rich Clients using Java (SWT) and SOA. In the Teamcenter PLM Client Side (RAC) Customization Training course, you will understand how to work with, modify, create and register Style Sheets to control the display of properties for Users to interact with. This method in Teamcenter PLM can simplify the user interface (UI), decreasing the number of clicks it takes to perform a task in Teamcenter PLM
- 🎓 Teamcenter PLM Active Workspace (AWC) Customization Training (URL: https://plmcoach.com/teamcenter-active-workspace-customization/)
- Teamcenter PLM Active Workspace Customization and Configuration course will help Active Workspace administrators and developers learn how to customize and configure Active Workspace. Participants will be shown how to configure Tile Configurations for various scopes and define Tiles to perform a variety of functionality in Teamcenter PLM. A strong emphasis on modifying the look and feel of the Teamcenter PLM client will be reviewed; including (custom themes, CSS layout configurations, message notifications, and icon configuration). Teamcenter PLM Active Workspace (AWC) Customization Training course will explore an in-depth look at the declarative approach for customizing the Active Workspace interface in Teamcenter PLM. Participants will also work within the Teamcenter PLM Business Modeler IDE to control the visibility of commands and control Indexing settings for data model objects. In Teamcenter PLM Active Workspace (AWC) Customization Training course, students will explore Style sheet (XRT) enhancements and capabilities utilizing custom tags and AngularJS, as well as, work with Visual Studio Code to setup a development environment for easy debugging for Teamcenter PLM. Teamcenter PLM Active Workspace (AWC) Customization Training provides an overview of customizing the TcFTSIndexer to index additional object types, both internal and external, will also be covered.
Teamcenter PLM Development Technologies
- C++ – For Teamcenter PLM Server Side Programming
- Java – For Teamcenter PLM Client Side Programming
- AngularJS – For Teamcenter PLM Active Workspace Programming
🌍 Teamcenter PLM References on Web
- 🌍 Siemens PLM Software (URL: https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/global/en/products/teamcenter/)
🎬 Checkout Video on Teamcenter PLM Architecture:
🌍 For PLM / CAD Training Visit ► https://plmcoach.com
📧 Contact PLM Coach:
Follow the link to Training Inquiry Form to provide your details ►https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PLMInfoV3
Follow the link to Text PLM Coach on WhatsApp ► https://wa.me/917989703878
☏ Mobile Number ► +91-7989703878
💌 Email ► [email protected]